Author: Steve Maclean
The Water Distribution Industry is a complex, vital service Canadians depend on daily. Without the availability of reliable, fresh, clean potable water, our way of life would be altered significantly.
In our modern world, utilities are constantly adapting to continued pressure on operational efficiency and new economic challenges such as:
- Leakages and Burst Water Lines
- Aging Water Lines
- Water Quality Degradation
- Accurate Measurement
- Significant Geography Across Distribution Networks
These operational challenges require insight to the process to enable informed decisions and obtaining this insight requires operational data. The challenge then presents itself on how to obtain this needed operational data for assets installed years or even decades prior, with little to no existing power or communications infrastructure.
This challenge is magnified when considering the balance between the need for investment in technology to enable operational insight set against the need to manage costs while running the existing operation. Without clear, proven solutions to known problems, many utilities will rightly prioritize the status quo.
Many attempts have been made to solve these issues in Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) Chambers across Canada, unique challenges have arisen while trying to implement a solution, including:
- Remote Locations Requiring Frequent Travel
- Confined Space Entry Approvals
- Ease of Use
- Low Cost
- Awareness of Process Upsets
Working closely with several water distribution customers, Spartan Controls has designed & implemented a state-of-the-art PRV Chamber solution. Our customers are currently utilizing this system to provide real time process data for operational insight, analytics and alarming functions while improving safety and operational efficiency by minimizing unnecessary travel. Leveraging this data, they can now make informed decisions to improve the reliability, efficiency and safety of their operations.
Value for our Customers:
- Low cost of installation and maintenance
- Easy access to data, reports and alarms
- Devices are independently powered with a 5 to 10-year life expectancy
- No wiring between the PRV Station and the communication panel
- Non-intrusive instrument installation, no welding or cutting of existing pipe
- Fully installed in 1-2 days or preinstalled on a new station
- No need for manhole replacement
- Cloud based platform with easy access via app or desktop computer
- Pre-built reports and graphics
- Easily configurable alarms and callouts
Our customers are currently utilizing this system to provide real time process data for operational insight, analytics and alarming functions while improving safety and operational efficiency by minimizing unnecessary travel.
- Real-Time Monitoring Upstream and Downstream System Pressures
- Valve Position
- Flow Rate and Volume Accumulation
- Below Ground Flood Detection
- Access/Safety Monitoring
- No Need for Existing Power Infrastructure