Q1 - How do I apply to a specific posting?
- From the Spartan Controls home page, click on the ‘Careers’ link. Once on the Careers page, select the 'Career Opportunities' link. Next, select the location in which you would like to work.
- After viewing the available positions, select the position you would like to apply for and then click the ‘Apply for this Position’ button if you have never applied before. You will need to enter an active email address and create a password (at least 6 characters) to proceed.
- If you are a returning applicant you will need to enter your email address and password. Click the ‘Add to My Jobs’ button.
- To apply to a posted job you can upload a résumé. This will pre-populate the application form. Information should be verified for accuracy. If you do not have a résumé please complete each section of the application form. You will be asked to provide your personal contact information (name, address, phone number, etc.) and answer some questions relating to the posting.
- Once your profile has been entered into our system, your email address and password will allow you to access your profile in the database at any time. When you apply to subsequent positions, any information previous supplied to Spartan Controls through our recruitment system will be automatically completed.
Q2: There are no current postings that match my career interests. How do I leave a general application?
- From the Spartan Controls home page, click on the ‘Careers’ link. Once on the Careers page, review the ‘Just want to send us your resume’ section and click on the general application form.
- You will need to enter an active email address and create a password (at least 6 characters) to proceed.
- You may upload a resume. This will pre-populate the application form. Information should be verified for accuracy. If you do not have a résumé, please complete each section of the application form. You will be asked to provide your personal contact information, (name, address, phone number, etc.) employment history and educational history.
- Once your profile has been entered, your email address and password will allow you to access/edit your candidate profile at any time.
Q3: How can I update my profile information or apply to a new posting?
- To update your profile or to apply to a new posting, from the Spartan Controls home page, click on the ‘Careers’ link. Once on the Careers page, review the ‘Previous Applicant’ section.
- Enter your email address and password. Click the ‘Login’ button.
Q4: I forgot my user name and/or password. How can I log in to the system?
- From the Spartan Controls home page, click on the ‘Careers’ link. Once on the Careers page, go to the ‘Previous Applicants’ section. Below the ‘Login’ button, there is link to click if you do not remember your password.
- Enter your email address and if a match is found, your password will be sent to that email address.
Q5: I have submitted my application. What happens next?
- You will receive an automated email notice confirming receipt of your application. Your application will remain on file in our database and will be considered for the specific position for which you have applied. You will be contacted by Spartan Controls if you are being considered further for the position.
- If you have signed up for automatic job posting alerts (RSS feed), you will receive notifications about new postings via your RSS news feed.
Q6: I have found that your online application system keeps hanging when trying to save certain pages of information.
This issue relates to the connection between your computer and the database server. At certain times, the internet is slower due to increased traffic. If you find your computer is running too slowly, you may want to log out and come back at a later time. When applying to a specific position, please be sure to complete your application prior to the closing date. Once the closing date has passed, the posting will no longer be available.
The minimum requirements for use of this recruitment software are Google Chrome or Firefox (recommended browsers).
If you find you cannot complete your application, try the following changes to your browser security settings:
- Turn off Pop-Up blockers for the spartancontrols.com and taleo.net web sites on your browser and any third-party software toolbars, such as Google, Yahoo, and Alexa.
- Set your privacy setting for Cookies to Medium, and ensure the “Override automatic cookie handling” is turned off.
If these changes do not work, please see the response below about changing your computer's settings.
Q7 - How should my Internet Explorer browser be set up to use this software?
The following settings will optimize system use and performance when using Internet Explorer:
- Use version 6.0 or higher of Internet Explorer. To determine the version of Internet Explorer on your computer, from the menu bar, select "Help" / "About Internet Explorer".
- Make changes to your browser's Internet Options. From the "Tools" menu, select "Internet Options":
- Click the "Privacy" tab, click "Advanced". Ensure that "Override automatic cookie handling" is not selected, then click "OK".
- On the “Security” tab, click the “Default Level” button, then click “OK”.
- Click the "General" tab. Click the "Settings" button in the "Temporary Internet Files" section of the window. For the "Check for newer versions of stored pages" setting, select the "Every visit to the page" option, then click "OK".
- While remaining in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click the "Delete Files" button. If you see a "Delete Files" pop-up box (depends on which version of Internet Explorer you have), select "Delete all offline content", then click "OK".
- On the Privacy tab, click the “Sites…” button. In the “Per Site Privacy Actions” window, add "taleo.net" (without quotes) in the “Address of Web site” field. Click “Allow” then click “OK”.
- Close all of your open Internet sessions and re-open Internet Explorer so the new settings will take effect.
Q8: I am attempting to choose multiple answers for the pre-screening questions. How do I make multiple selections?
When selecting multiple-choice answers, hold the "Ctrl" key down. Just check off the answers that apply.
Q9: The system will not allow me to "Submit" my application. Why?
- If the system is not allowing you to “Submit” the application, there is likely a mandatory question on the page that requires a response before you can move on. A mandatory question is marked with an asterisk (“*”). Please ensure that you have answered all the questions on the page that are marked with an "*" before attempting to continue to the next page.
- Please note that when mandatory text box answers are left blank this could cause an error message. Simply answer 'N/A' rather than leaving a blank.
Q10: Your online application system requires my résumé to be in an accepted format. What formats are accepted?
Accepted formats include:
- Word (.doc or .docx file extensions created by Microsoft Word software)
- Text (.txt file extension)
- Rich Text Editor (.rtf file extension)
- Hypertext Markup Language (.html or .htm file extension created by web page development software)
- Portable Document Format (.pdf file extension created by Adobe Acrobat software) files
If you attach a file that is not in one of these formats, the file will not be readable in our database. You can view the file format in Windows Explorer (click on file name, click View/Details) or by right-clicking on the file and selecting Properties. If your file is not in an accepted format, save the document as a Text (.txt file extension) file.
Q11: When I try to attach a résumé and cover letter file, I receive a message that says I have exceeded the file size limit. What should I do?
Our recruitment software system accepts up to 4 attachments with a total of 4MB of data. If your file exceeds the file size limit, you will need to edit it to reduce the file size. Easy ways to reduce the file size are to remove graphics or pictures, or remove unnecessary formatting or spacing. You can view the size of your file(s) in Windows Explorer (click on file name, click View/Details if size isn’t listed) or by right-clicking on the file and selecting Properties.
Q12: How are Spartan Controls employment categories defined?
- A permanent employee is defined as a person who works at a Spartan field, plant, or office site for an indeterminate period of time and is being paid through Spartan’s payroll system.
- A temporary employee or student is defined as a person who works at a Spartan field, plant, or office site for a defined period of time and is being paid through Spartan’s payroll system.
- A contractor is defined as a person who is independent from Spartan Controls, contracted to Spartan either through a third party company or their own company, and is not being paid through Spartan’s payroll system.
Q13: How do I create/edit/remove an Education entry?
- If you only have one education entry, enter the relevant information in the fields available.
- If you have further education entries, click ‘Add Another’ to create another education entry, enter the relevant information.
- To edit an entry, update the education details.
- To delete an entry, click the ‘Remove Previous’ link beside the ‘Add Another’ link.
Note: The Professional Designations & Certification section has similar functionality to the Education and Employment History sections, therefore, you may enter and edit your certification data in the same way.
Q14: How do I create/edit/remove an Employment History entry?
To create one or more entries in the Employment History section:
- If you only have one work experience entry, enter the relevant information in the appropriate fields.
- If you have further work experience entries, click ‘Add Another’ to create another work experience entry, enter the relevant information.
- To edit an entry, update the employment history details.
- To delete an entry, click the ‘Remove Previous’ link beside the ‘Add Another’ link.
- To identify an entry as your current job, in the “Date To” year field select "To Present".