The Base Level Industrial Emission Requirements (BLIERs) were implemented by Environment Canada Wednesday, June 29, 2016. These new NOx emission regulations will focus on:
- Natural Gas Engines - Primarily utilized for compression, electrical power generation and pumping within industrial facilities
- Boilers and Heaters - Steam Generation for various purposes in industrial process applications
- Grey Cement Manufacturing Facilities
Spartan Controls, along with our major principals (Murphy, EmeraChem, ECOM, and REM Technology), have developed a suite of solutions, product and services aimed at ensuring customers will be able to meet these upcoming regulation changes for their natural gas engines.
- Full line of products and services enabling natural gas engines to meet new BLIERs NOx requirements
- Fleet Analysis, Business Plan, and Implementation services to meet compliance dates
- Offering the only Patented NOx reduction solutions with proven ROI
The new NOx regulations (BLIERs) for stationary reciprocating natural gas engines in Canada will apply to all new 75kW (100hp) and above engines and all existing 250kW (335hp) and above engines. Owner/Operators of these engines will have two approaches available to meet compliance: a Per-Unit approach, and an Average approach.
It is important for owner/operators of these engines to complete a detailed fleet analysis, business plan, and implementation plan promptly to determine the scope of their compliance responsibilities. PIC has the expertise, along with recommended 3rd party qualified consultants, to assist with the detailed analysis and implementation planning. An early understanding of these details will ensure compliance by the required dates. Knowing if you have 20 or 200 engines to retrofit in the allotted time will be key to meeting your companies and regulatory expectations.
Environment Canada has done extensive analysis and held numerous stakeholder meetings with engine owner/operators , engine OEM’s and technology vendors and has recommended two approaches to reduce NOx for rich-burn natural gas engines:
- Rich to Lean Conversion – PIC has the only patented rich to lean technology (REMVue) that enables substantial NOx reductions, fuel savings and reliability improvements
- Optional ECO Plug technology extends NOx reduction and fuel savings for new and existing REMVue AFR systems
- Non-Selective Catalyst Reduction (NSCR) with Stoichiometric Air-Fuel Ratio control – PIC offers the Murphy Compliance air/fuel ratio controller and EmeraChem catalysts – both best in class
With over 50 years of experience delivering rugged, reliable solutions for the Western Canadian industrial market, PIC's Emission Solutions are designed and tested to meet your demanding operating conditions.
Call us today to learn more about how we can help you with your BLIERs program.
To learn more about BLIERs, see VOL. 148, Multi Sector Air Pollutants Regulations.